Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Taking Care of Mom: The Postpartum Period

As a doulas, one of the topics that I discuss prenatally with my clients is setting up postpartum support.

If you are pregnant, I cannot stress how important it is to set up reliable and caring support for after the baby comes. Even though, when a woman is pregnant, it can feel like the baby is never going to come and you have all the time in the world, the baby is going to come whether you are ready or not; so set up your support system during your pregnancy.

This includes both support from family and friends and from professionals. Set up a schedule and ask people to volunteer to drop off food on certain days, and leave. Ask if anyone can take any older siblings for an afternoon, or help with laundry, etc. For professionals, visit a La Leche League meeting before the baby comes and tape the leader's phone numbers to your fridge; this way, when you are holding a screaming baby and you are upset and flustered, not only will the numbers be right at your fingertips, but you will already have a connection with the woman on the other end of the phone.

There are two articles that I found recently surrounding this topic. First, Gloria Lemay has a great article on what to ask for when family and friends volunteer to help. Her list includes everything from cleaning help to food and essentials. Second, Healthy Women has a great article out on how to take care of yourself during your postpartum period. After all, a healthy and happy mommy is important for a happy and healthy baby!

I'd love to hear other women's thoughts on this; links, experiences, stories, and advice. What was the best gift you ever got for postpartum? What advice would you offer new moms?
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

~rachel~ said...

I agree with setting up help early. I felt so good after having my second baby that I seemed to forget that I was still recovering and had to step back and let other people help. We were lucky that both our boys were born while my husband was in school, which for us meant that he was off for the summer(and both were born in the summer). We saved extra money so we wouldn't have to worry about the bills. I know obviously this is not always possible, but I think if it can happen for both parents to be home for a while it can be great for the whole family to have that time together!

I tell every new mom to be I know (who plans on BF) to read, read, read!!! I feel like I read every possible book written on BF when I was pregnant with my first. I still needed some help from an LC but I knew if I was getting good information and I knew what to ignore. I did feel like quite the expert- and that got me interested in becoming a lactation consultant- hopefully someday....

Tom Smoolen said...

My wife and I are expecting a boy, yay! You have some great information here. I suspect that my wife may have a tough time with post pardem.

Would it be inappropriate for me to ask if you are willing to share you experiences as a mother?

It's quite forward of me to ask, but I work for an agency that is trying to develop a social media application to aid new mothers. I have a small survey if you or any of your readers are willing to complete it. The compensation is a $25 amazon card. Please contact me if you are interested. This is legit, yet I am even skeptical to type that...

sorry but spam is so rampant these days and I understand if this sounds like just another scam. I will provide my phone number or even thumb print for reference :] Best of luck to all the small ones out there.

http://cookthemoon.blogspot.com/2009/09/25-amazon-card-for-new-mothers.html