Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, June 11, 2009

More on Eating Wholesome Foods

I recently came across a couple more links with great information about the dangers of additives that are in our food.

First, Simple Mom has a great post up written by a health columnist about the three top additives to eliminate from your diet. According to the author, by eliminating High Fructose Corn Syrup, trans fats, and dyes with numbers after them, we will eliminate 90% of the junk food that we eat. It's great article that is very helpful for when you are checking out the nutrition labels, so head on over and check it out.

Also, if you want more specific information on what exactly the dangers are with High Fructose Corn Syrup, then you must read Change Your World. Evelyn not only outlines the dangers of HFCS, but also gives a list of the most popular products that contain HFCS and a link to where you can find out which products do not contain HFCS. From her post:
Excess fructose intake has been associated with adverse health effects such as:metabolic syndrome, elevated triglyceride levels, hypertension, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, excess uric acid levels (associated with gout), and elevated levels of advanced glycation end products (linked with aging and complications of diabetes).Excess fructose intake may contribute to hypertension. High blood pressure is a well-known comorbidity associated with obesity, hyperinsulinemia, and hyperlipidemia.


I know that we have been trying to eat less products that contain HFCS, but now we are going to eliminate it as much as possible.

What are your favorite links that guide you in eating wholesome foods?
Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Grace @ Sandier Pastures said...

Don't have links but I am eating as much whole, natural foods (nothing out of a box, bag or can) since I am following the Turbulence Training lifestyle.

Good luck with eliminating those HFCS.

Kristin said...

Thanks for the links --- seeing the products listed as HFCS-free makes it a lot easier to go shopping (you don't have to read every label). Don't the "HFCS is OK" commercials drive you nuts? I can't say we have eliminated it from our diet, but I try to be conscious of it while shopping.

mamamilkers said...

We also avoid HFCS. It's insane how many produts it's in. You have to check every single label. It still sneaks by me sometimes!

Also, we avoid almost ALL MSG. I am sure my husband is allergic to it, but it's not good for brains. The only thing we buy that has it is one kind of chips my hubby absolutely loves.

The other two things off the top of my head are artificial colors/flavors and nitrates.

Actually, all of these things you have to check labels for. I've bought products labelled "natural" only to discover there was artificial colors in them. It takes time to figure it out.

I have been watching your super deals you've been getting and I cringe when I see stuff that's such a good deal, but includes ingredients we don't eat. I hate that so many times there is the choice between a good value and healthy foods.

Unknown said...

Thank you for mentioning my post on the dangers of High Fructose Corn Syrup! :)

-Evelyn Weiss,
Change Your World http://worldevolved.blogspot.com/