Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Fashionable and Functional: My Babywearing Stash

Anyone who is a fan of babywearing can tell you that buying different baby carriers is addictive. Really. I know that if I didn't have a monthly budget and some will power, I would be spending all of our money on baby carriers alone.


As it is, my stash is more than enough for my own personal use, but since I am a doula and like to lend my stash out to clients, I am looking forward to expanding it soon. In the meantime, here is my stash:

1 Ellaroo wrap, 2 pouches, 2 ring slings, and 1 Mai Tei (or Asian Baby Carrier)

The Ellaroo wrap was the first carrier I bought, when the Mermaid was around 8 months old. I bought it at Peppermint.com and absolutely loved (and still love) it's versatility and comfort. I wore the Mermaid on my back for long periods of time without one complaint. Even though wrap carriers do have a learning curve, because of their comfort and versatility I highly recommend them for all carries and all ages.



The white pouch with blue flowers is from Blue Berriest, and the black adjustable pouch is from Kangaroo Korner. Pouches are great for the newborn stage, because they are easy-in, easy-out, which is essential when you are caring for a newborn baby who constantly needs to be taken out of the carrier to be fed or diapered, etc. Here you can see me wearing The Guppy when she was just four weeks old on Halloween night:





The purple ring sling I bought at last year's La Leche League conference from Sleeping Baby Productions. The Tye Dye ring sling is one that I made with the help from a friend. Like pouches, ring slings are great for newborns because of the easy-in, easy-out factor. I like them better than pouches because they are adjustable, and are oh-so-comfy for front and side carries.



Finally, the Mai Tei is one that I made with the help of a friend. This is by far my most-used and favorite carrier. While I tend to use the ring slings and pouches more when my babies are newborns, as soon as they can sit on up their own I always end up reaching for the MT. The Mai Tei is sooo easy to use, and while it isn't as versatile because you can only do front and back carries, it is so comfy!! When I babywear the Guppy, I do mostly back carriers, and the MT makes my life so much easier! I wear the Guppy in the MT a lot, especially during day trips, like when we visit Old Sturbridge Village.



So that's my babywearing stash. You can read more about why I love babywearing so much here. In the meantime, I'd love to hear what your favorite carrier is, and what your stash looks like!!



To see more babywearing stash, visit Adventures in Babywearing.


Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Upstatemamma said...

I know this was all about your babywearing stash but I just wanted to say that I think it is so cool that you are a doula! I really loved my doula. Oh and you really do have a nice stash. :)

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

My mei tai is my favorite all around carrier too, though I do still use my pouch sometimes for Sweetpea at 26 months. I want a ring sling for our new addition, that's one thing I don't have yet!