Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, June 15, 2009

Gazelle Intense

During our journey to become debt free, the Knight and I committed to being "gazelle intense" in reaching our goal. This basically means that we always keep this goal in sight, and make the sacrifices necessary to pay off our debt, even if other people think we are crazy.

This is why we drive around in junk cars, why we shop at thrift stores, and don't go out to eat.

It's also why I am now getting up at 3:30 AM every day.

For the past 7 months, the Knight has held two jobs; from 4-6:30 AM he delivered newspapers, then came home to shower and eat before heading out to his normal full-time job. His normal job pays the bills but the newspaper job has really been the key to getting our debt snowball going, as we have already trimmed the budget as much as we could.

However, after 7 months of little sleep, the Knight has been falling asleep at his desk during the day. While his company is so far stable, they have stopped annual bonuses and froze everyone's salaries, so there are signs that they are tightening up in this economy. And in the event that they do decide to lay people off, being known as the guy who sleeps at his desk wouldn't help the Knight's chances.

So, I've taken over his route for the summer. The Knight trained me for a week and this morning was the first morning I went out and did it by myself. At first it was hard adjusting to the new schedule, but as long as I go to bed by 8:30 PM I am not too tired.

It's actually kind of nice, doing the route. I watch the sun come up while I'm driving and I'm getting a lot of exercise. The only sound is the thunk of the papers when I throw them and the birds chirping their morning songs. I actually get to think about things without having to interrupt my thoughts to tend to a child. And I've already gotten a tip, which made my day.

Best of all, each month we are sending in big bucks to our credit card. We just have the credit card and two student loans left, so we are almost done. I can't wait for the day I can yell "WE'RE DEBT FREE!"

For those out there who are also on Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover, or just paying off debt in general: I'm interested in hearing your stories, what you've done and the sacrafices you've made to get your debt paid off. Let's share our ideas on making extra money or saving money in general.
Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi, I enjoy reading your daily posts! I recently started a blog to help my husband and I stay accountable to ourselves. We have a long way to go, but we are on the right track. This is our blog: budgetaccountability.blogspot.com

Again, thank you so much for your daily updates. You have a beautiful family and are very inspiring to get the debt out of our lives.

Jenn

~rachel~ said...

that's awesome that you're doing so well!! We have just really cut back on our spending, we try to just not go places where we'll be tempted to spend (walmart..). We don't have credit card debt, but soon will have to start paying student loans. I was on the list to get this book from the library, but they don't notify you and I missed my chance, so now I'm back on the list- hoping to get it before the summer ends. I've been listening to his radio program and really like it!

We tried to get a paper route too, unfortunately we are pretty much in the country and the route that was open was not too far from us and the supervisor WOULDN"T give it to us- because he felt it wouldn't be worth it with the price fo gas- yeah I was a little mad about that! Anyway, let us know when you get to the point and you call in to scream you're debt free- I'll listen for you! :)

Michele said...

I love the term "gazelle intense" to describe how you are going after your goals.

I find that shopping once a month for non-food stuff really cuts down on the extras. Yes there are moments where making-do is challenging but I was shocked at home much less we spent by just not going to Target every week.

Sybil Runs Things said...

Wow, good for you!!! That is amazing.

We have sort of done TMMO. We started with the snowball, but ended up just sort of plowing through the debts not in any necessary order. To be in a spot to do this (we've paid several thousands!) we stayed in our crappy tiny apartment MUCH longer than we wanted to. Finally hit the payoff, though-- we bought our first house and move in this weekend! We can't believe we actually got here, and it all started with Dave!

Jamie said...

Way to go Shelley! Good luck with your route!

Shelly said...

Thanks everyone, love the stories!!

Jenn - love your blog so far :o)

Rachel - The book is so worth the wait. I haven't listened to his radio program yet but I just learned earlier this week that you can listen online so I plan to!

Michele- "Gazelle Intense" is a phrase that Dave Ramsey loves to use. I think it describes the committment and dedication needed, don't you?

Sybil - Congrats on your new home! We had much, much more debt than we do know and we lived with my mom for almost three years to get it down to a manageable amount before buying our house :o)

Jamie: Thanks!