Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wanted: A Green Thumb

I have bad luck with plants. When we moved into our new home, I got several house plants as gifts. I've killed them all, except two: one that I have no idea what it is but it is hanging on by some miracle, and an aloe plant.

My sister bought me the aloe plant because she knew I am cursed with plants but that I like natural remedies. She told me it would be hard to kill, even for me. I love aloe plants, so I was very careful in taking care of it. It started to die, so I gave up.

I have such a brown thumb, that once I stopped taking the aloe plant, it got better!!

I'm so excited that this year I have a yard. And a beautiful garden that we "inherited" from the previous owners. Except I have no idea how to care for a garden. And I am terrified that I'm going to kill every beautiful plant out there.

I went through on Mother's Day and pulled the obvious weeds out (even I know what a dandelion is) but there are some things I'm not sure about. A few of the plants are blossoming beautifully and I'd like to know their names. A few look like they are dead and I want to replace them, but I don't know if they are really dead or if they are just late bloomers.
So, to start: here was some of the plants blooming in the front of our house. Does anyone out there know what these plants are?

My goal this year is to be able to take care of the existing garden. If all goes well, then next year I will plant a vegetable/herb garden.

If anyone wants to share their favorite gardening resource as well, that would be fabulous!


Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

kblogger said...

Yes, from top to bottom: viola, azelea, viola, & not 100% sure, looks a bit like aster - but its early in the season for that.

Shelly said...

Thanks so much! I have names, yay!!

~rachel~ said...

As for the aloe plant- we've had ours for years and sometimes it looks like it's dying- usually because it got too much sun or water and it always bounces back. Ours seems to be better left alone most of the time, so it might still be ok. I don't have much of a green thumb either, but my husband is a gardening expert! I have one plant that is mine a violet that was my Grandma's it does best when I forget all about it and just water it when it looks like it's a goner! Maybe you should try a violet! ;)

kblogger said...

Editing my comment above! That's lungwort, not aster. Can you believe I'm still thinking about it? :)