Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, May 11, 2009

Decluttering My Life

Lately I've been feeling an urge to declutter my life...take some stuff off my plate and re-examine my priorities.

When we moved into our house in November, we moved in with as little clutter as possible. Some clutter has started to build up in the girls room, but other than that, I am pretty much clutter free.

Or am I?

I've realized that clutter comes in many forms other than just "stuff" that lies around your house. Clutter can also take the form of too many responsibilities, too many emails, and too many things that take me away from time spent with my family.

Our van was broken down recently and while I did feel housebound, I also began to enjoy and appreciate a quiet day spent at home. I've found that folding laundry can be relaxing (although I still hate putting it away) and that turning the computer off and instead sitting on the deck with a cup of herbal tea and just what I need to relax.

I'm gradually pulling back from the things that I realise are cluttering up my life. I am still going to go to some groups and activities because I really enjoy them and the things they bring to my life and the girl's life. But I'm going to be choosy from now on, and I'm learning how to say "no".

This past weekend I unsubscribed from 50 yahoo groups and about 25 newsletters. I spent less time on the computer and spent more time coloring with my girls. I went outside and examined the garden that I "inherited" from the previous owners; it needs work but it is so beautiful.

Taking a deep breath, and sitting back has done wonders for me these past two weeks. I realise that my time is precious and important, and it is my right to be choosy on how I spend it.

In what ways have you "decluttered" your life? How did you come about realising that the "clutter" needs to go?
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

mama k said...

Yeah, the internet provides much "clutter" in my life... reading blogs, facebook etc all are fun, but can be such a waste of time. If I don't limit myself it can easily get out of hand.
That's the biggest reason I haven't joined Twitter. I just can't keep up with one more thing!

Kelly said...

Our house is too cluttered but we'll soon be moving to a bigger house which will accomadate everything.

There is so much information on the internet that I can read for hours. I love reading different blogs and find new things at each one. Although it takes up a lot of time without the internet I would not have learned so much about natural birth and pushed so hard for my vbac.

So I have a lot of clutter but for now I like it all.