Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, May 29, 2009

On The Fridge

Have you ever noticed how much a refrigerator can tell you about a family?

If the kitchen is the center of the home, then the refrigerator is the heart.

Not only because of what is in the inside (food that nourishes us), but for what is on the outside.

A busy family might have calendars, lists of things to do, etc. on their fridge. A family falling on hard times might have less inside their fridge than a family who is prospering. A family who is grieving might have nothing on their fridge, save for a lone obituary, clipped from the newspaper.

Don't ask me why I think of these things, I just do.

When Kalei died, our fridge told conflicting stories. The outside was bare, telling of our grief and inability to sit down and color happy picture with our children to hang on the fridge. However, the inside was stuffed full of food, meals brought over from loving friends and family, reminding us how lucky and supported we were.

Today our fridge is full, on the inside and out. We are nourished and happy from its insides. The front of the outside is covered with happy artwork, the sides covered with invitations, cards, lists, etc. There's not an inch to spare for sorrow and grief.




I hope it stays that way for a long time.

What's on your fridge? If you feel like posting a picture, leave a comment and link to your post.
Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Upstatemamma said...

My fridge looks almost exactly like yours. It is covered in my son's artwork, birthday invitation, announcements, the weekly menu and a grocery list. We too are prospering. Thanks for this - now I will smile everytime I see the fridge. For it is reminding me of our joy.

VLMSchnee said...

Almost two years ago, my husband surprised me with a new refrigerator, which we needed because the old one, circa 1984, was creaking along on its last legs. It has a very modern looking stainless steel front with and ice/water dispenser, and better yet, we purchased it at a discount because it had a small ding. Once we brought it home, we hit a snag: stainless steel is not magnetic! Now I miss being able to create a collage of our life on the front of our fridge.

Anonymous said...

Okay, since I can't figure out how to post a picture on a Blogger comment, here is the link to my post with my fridge:
My Fridge

Crafty Mama said...

Goofy magnets, thank you cards, birth announcements, photos, Will's artwork, grocery and Target lists and a weekly menu. Oh, and a recipe for a decadent coconut cake that Brian printed out and wrote "SOMEDAY!!" on the top.