Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, January 04, 2010

Finger Knitting and Other "Art"

I've been really slacking lately in terms of homeschooling, depending on how you look at it. No "official" school work, but lots of artwork and handwork.

The girls got some window crayons for their birthday and they've been going crazy on our sliding door. They love coloring elaborate scenes on the glass, and its very easy to wash off, so its not a hassle to let them do it daily.



I also taught The Mermaid how to finger knit. She's been knitting up a storm: a garland for our Christmas tree, friendship bracelets, and her favorite, a crown:
For a Christmas present for the girls I dyed some play silks, using the tutorial found at Sara's Toy Box. It was very easy and I was very pleased with the results; the girls have been playing with them almost non-stop.



One of my resolutions this year is to be more organized and consistent with our homeschooling. I know that a lot of families are from very relaxed to unschooling and I realize the girls are still young, but they absolutely love sitting down and doing "learning time" so it works better for us.

When taking our break I started to really think about where I want to go with our homeschooling. I took a dive into Waldorf and researched it a bit and thought that Waldorf was the road I wanted to take, but after further research I don't think it will work well for us. I do plan on using many aspects of Waldorf though, such as the nature table, finding the rhythm of the home, lots of art and play time, etc.

The most important thing to do right now is to find and maintain a balance between homeschooling, playing, taking care of the house, and taking care of my own studies and interests.

I've decided this year to have separate "learning time" sessions for the girls instead of doing them both together. The girls seem really excited to have alone time with mommy, and this way I'll be able to concentrate more on each child individually.

So, those are my goals for 2010 homeschooling. If you homeschool, I'd love to hear what your plan are and what style of homeschooling you use.

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Hi Shelly -
I thought you might like this blog for more craft ideas you can do with siblings of different ages...

http://busysiblings.com/

Just like Brooke likes knitting with you, Daniela likes to scrapbook with me. I have found that a sheet of sticker letters and some paper can be endless fun & learning! For kids scrapbooking ideas check out this blog...

http://www.kidscanscrap.com/

or this post...

http://scrappinatnaptime.blogspot.com/2009/03/motherdaughter-cropping.html

Also, can you post a link about how to finger knit? I bet Daniela would love to try it.

Shelly said...

Thanks Kristin for those links!! :o)

I taught Brooke how to finger knit using the sheep and shepherd story. You can see it being done here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMQr_nLn4FM

Jo Cauldrick said...

I am so glad that I stumbled upon your blog- someone else who is passionate about breast feeding, and who homeschools ( excellent)
I think you have your 2010 plan spot on actually. I used a simple timetable inspired by 'Childhood Magic' but it'sonly very basic/ I too have daugthers 3 and 5, and although we do like to take the autonomous route with learning, I feel they respond very well to a sit down activity too. Thank you for the lovely posting on finger knitting