Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, August 14, 2009

Homeschool Update

This summer we've been a bit lazy in terms of homeschooling.

Rather than sit down and focus on our curriculum, we've been spending a lot of time playing outside and visiting friends. We've got a pretty basic schedule worked out, although it frequently changes. Mondays and Thursdays we either stay at home or visit friends. Tuesdays we go to a La Leche League meeting where the girls socialize and then hit a park or go home and play outside. Wednesdays we head over to the EcoTarium for their preschool program, followed by dance class. And Fridays, we usually go to the library and then grocery shopping, where the girls help me add up the costs of items to stay within our budget, count how many things we need on the list, etc.

We've also been playing a lot of games, like Candyland, Sorry!, and card games like GoldFish and Memory.

I've noticed that The Guppy and The Mermaid tend to have different learning styles. The Guppy likes to just observe; for a while, when she wouldn't participate hands on in our projects, I was slightly worried that she wasn't "learning" anything. But later, I would overhear her "teaching" her dolls whatever we've been learning, so I know she is picking things up just by observing.

The Mermaid, however, is very hands on. She picks things up really quickly, and is a "greedy" learner. She wants to learn the next thing, and she wants to learn it NOW. Lately she's been begging me to teach her how to read, and I've been thinking of finally going through Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons with her.

My girls are young and I am new at homeschooling, but we love it. I feel so blessed to be able to be my girls teacher, and to be able to learn from them as well. I can't wait to see what comes up next in our homeschooling journey!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: