Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, December 01, 2006

Patience is a Virtue...

...and it's one virtue that I simply lack. I really do not have any patience. I'm one of those people who have a million unfinished jobs sitting around the house, because of the fact that I don't have enough patience to finish a job. When I want something made, I want it made now. This is why I am so horrible at sewing. Pinning fabric together? Nah, takes too long. Pressing fabric? Nah, takes too long. And then I wonder why everything I sew comes out horrible. But I digress...the real reason I am writing about my problem with patience has to do, suprisingly, with potty training.
Lately I've been finding myself becoming more and more impatient with the fact that the Mermaid is not yet potty trained. This leaves me to do something that I swore I would never do - compare my child to other children. My impatience leads me to think to myself, as I am changing the Mermaid's diaper, "So and so's child is potty trained. Why isn't the Mermaid?"
Now, I also swore to myself that I would never push my child into doing something that she wasn't ready to do. Thus, my belief in child-led weaning and the fact that the Mermaid will remain in our bed until she decides to move into her own room. I have no problem giving little nudges to help my child along, but I refuse to push them before they are ready. So, while I haven't done anything to push the Mermaid into potty training, I have tried to nudge her into it. I bought a sticker chart for when she does use the potty, I've read books to her about it, I've bought her Dora underpants, etc. But so far, she is content to remain in diapers, much to my ever-increasing dismay. She has shown signs of being ready to use the potty....for instance, she does like to sit on the potty, but doesn't actually use it...she will run and tell us when she has a dirty diaper so that we can change it, etc. But if I ask her if she wants to use the potty she wants nothing to do with it.
We are also getting a lot of comments from family members, which certainly doesn't help. You know, the usual, "She's over two years old, she has to be potty trained" (Although I would love to be shown the law that states once a child is two years old they must be potty trained @@). People I've spoken to say, don't push it, one day she will just decide that she wants to use the potty. They tell tales of how their child just one day up and decided that diapers weren't for them and never looked back. This would be my ideal situation with the Mermaid, but agian, my impatience is driving me to wonder if she will EVER just decide that diapers aren't for her anymore.
I guess I just have to sit back and remind myself that the time will come. She won't be in diapers for the rest of her life. In the meantime, does anyone out there have any tips? Am I going about this all wrong? Is there a better way? Or am I just a lazy parent who isn't putting enough effort into the process? For those parents who were in my situation, please give me assurance that my daughter will not be in diapers when she is five or even four...a little assurance will do me a lot of good right now...
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: