Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, December 18, 2006

Losing the Weight

Before I got pregnant with the Mermaid, my weight usually ranged from 118 to 122 (I always weighed more in the winter). Then pregnancy hit.
My pregnancy with the Mermaid was uneventful. I pretty much had an easy going pregnancy, except for one thing: weight gain. I gained, and gained, and gained. In total, I ended up gained a whopping 78lbs. And it was all because I didn't take care of myself. I would sit on the couch and eat.
Then came the Mermaid's birth. It was a pretty easy birth, as hospital births go. The hardest part occurred when I got home. I quickly sunk into postpartum depression and didn't even realize it. At the time, I was having trouble breastfeeding the Mermaid, I was new at motherhood, I lived out of state from the rest of my family. I also had issues with other people not approving of my parenting style, which made me feel really insecure. The Knight had a different, less paying job, and we were broke. And finally, my grandmother was really sick and ended up dying right before Christmas. Yesterday was the anniversary of her death. So, let's just say, I spent most of my days either eating or crying. Not good.
Fast forward about four months. The Knight has a new job, I'm sticking up for my parenting style more, and we decided to move into my mom's house so we could pay off our debt and get our credit back into good standing. I finally started feeling more like myself, and joined Weight Watchers so I could lose weight in time for my wedding. I went from 176lbs to 145lbs. Not bad.
Then I got pregnant with the Guppy. This time around, I was prepared. My midwife went over nutrition with me and we would discuss everything I ate. I ate healthy food and I exercised. I gained 42lbs...still more than I would have liked, but a lot better than last time. Fast forward to the homebirth....the most wonderful experience of my life. And I am still high from it. Not once since the Guppy's birth have I felt depressed or weepy. I've never felt so good in my life. And since I hit six weeks postpartum, I've started to carefully diet and exercises in order to become more healthy. I am on Weight Watchers again (using the nursing moms system) and every morning I get up at 6am to exercise. I do Billy's Boot Camp three days a week and the rest of the week I do other exercises, like the core ball or walking. When I gave birth to the Guppy, I weighed 210 lbs. By the time I was six weeks postpartum, I was down to 183lbs (yay breastfeeding!). Right now I am down to 173 lbs. So, since I started WW and exercising five weeks ago, I have lost 10 lbs., bringing the total since the Guppy's birth up to 37 lbs lost. I feel great. I feel healthier. I have so much energy and I am happy. My goal is to eventually get down to 130 lbs (definitely a long term goal).
So to any moms out there who have lost weight, I want to hear success stories and any tips!
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I've found the Amazing Shrinking Mom blog a helpful resource when you're trying to lose weight! Finally when I gave up dairy & eggs the weight really dropped off for me!