Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Amazing Story

In the past few days there has been an amazing story in the news about the Kim family. As you may recall, they were stranded during a snow storm in their car on a rural road for nine days. When they ran out of food, the mother kept her two children, seven months and four years old, alive by breastfeeding. The mother and two children were eventually found, but they are still searching for the father, who had left the car to go look for help.
For me, this story is both amazing and heartbreaking. Heartbreaking, of course, because they have yet to find the father. Amazing, because she managed to keep her children alive through breastmilk. It makes me wonder about all the "What If's?" Although I normally don't like to dwell upon the What If's, this story does make me think of them. What if the baby had been formula fed? What if they ran out of formula? What if? I can't even imagine being trapped in a car, freezing, with two young children. It must have been terrifying. I have great respect for this mother, who managed to stay calm and hold things together for her children. This story makes me very thankful that I breastfeed. If my family, God forbid, ever had an emergency like the one the Kim family experienced, it is good to know that I won't have to worry about formula, that I will have all my baby's needs with me.
Please send prayers/vibes/good thoughts to this family, that the father is found and that they full recover from their terrifying experience.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I was SO happy to read this story! Amazing!