Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

3 Month Old Letter

My Dearest Guppy,
As I sit here writing this your sister is out with her Grampy and Grandma and you are sleeping soundly in your pack and play. I still cannot believe that you are three months old. How time does fly!
This morning I was walking about in the living room getting some cleaning done before the Mermaid came home. You were sleeping in your Pack and Play and yet, I noticed that every time I walked by you would open your eyes slightly, watch me pass, and go back to sleep. Poor baby, I thought, I think I will put her in the bedroom so that I won't disturb her and she will sleep more soundly.
Sleep soundly, you did not.
Every five minutes you would fuss until I came to lay down next to you on the bed. Only then would you go back to sleep. This went on for an hour. Why, I thought, is this baby having trouble sleeping when the room is so quiet? Then it hit me. Not quiet. Silent. You were having trouble sleeping because there was only silence surrounding you. You could not hear my reassuring footsteps nearby, could not feel my presence in the room. When your eyes would open to watch me pass, it wasn't because I was disturbing your sleep; it was because you wanted to make sure I was there, right near you. You wanted to make sure you weren't alone.
You reassure yourself of my presence in many ways. Like the way you gaze in my eyes and pat my breast when you nurse. Or the way you somehow wiggle yourself against me every night, so in the morning you are curled up along side my body. I truly believe that we are not only connected through heart and soul, but perhaps on a telepathic level.
This need of my presence reminds me that yes, you are growing up so fast, and yes, you are getting so big....but you are still so small and new to this world. You are connected to each of us, but with you and I, we are more of a unit, more of one person. Just as your sister before you, you will grow and gain your independence and become your own unit, but for now, you should feel safe and protected in my arms.
Dear Guppy, please know that I will always be here for you, just as your father and your sister will always be here for you. You never have to fear being alone in the dark. And if you do find yourself afraid, or lonesome, just call for me, and I will come ...running.
Share/Save/Bookmark