Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Goodbye Fast Life, Hello Motherhood....

Although I don't consider myself a young mom, a lot of people would. I'm usually one of the youngest moms in my playgroups. And I've had strangers think that I was the babysitter numerous times. I am the only one my age whom I know with children. Most of my before-children friends have drifted away, which is fine with me, since we really don't have much in common anymore. Except my best friend, who I think still enjoys hanging around with me because she adores kids and she has two nieces that are the Mermaid's age, so we have "playdates" and take the kids to the mall, etc. She is now engaged and wants to start trying to have kids as soon as the wedding is over. But sometimes, I wonder how my life would've been different if I didn't have children, if I had waited a little longer. This thought kept popping up repeatedly last night due to a conversation I had with my best friend. It went something like this:

BF: Oh, great news! Fiance and I are going on a cruise! We just kind of decided last minute to book one, I can't wait!
Me: That's great! Hang on, I have to change a diaper.....OK back.
BF: Oh, and did I tell you? We're looking at a house in town and we plan on moving into our own house by February!
Me: That's great! Hang on, the Guppy just spit up all over me....OK back
BF: We had so much fun last night! We took his bike out all over town and hit up a few bars! What a night!
Me: That's great! Hang on, the Mermaid just flushed my makeup down the toilet....I'd better call you back....

Did I mention that it takes me an hour of planning in order to get the kids to the grocery store, so I could never dream of spontaneously booking a cruise? And did I mention that we moved out of our own apartment and into my mom's house two years ago because we had so much debt we couldn't afford to save for a house while paying rent? And did I mention the last time I went out on the town hitting up bars, I was barely legal? And did I mention I am usually in bed by 9pm?

Yup, so I was definitely sitting sorry for myself while I sat down to play with the girls and watch tv, knowing that meanwhile my friend is out having the time of her life in her no-children-yet body.

And then the Mermaid comes up and hugs me, kisses me on the cheek.
"Lub you" she says

And the Guppy looks up at me, smiles, and coos in that special way that she will only do for me. I pick her up, kiss her on the head, and breathe in that new baby smell, which she miraculously still has.

No, come to think of it....I wouldn't trade this life in for anything.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I wouldn't trade this life for my "old" life either... sometimes I think it's just too good to be true!