Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, April 30, 2007

Say No To Routine Circumcision

If I ever have a baby boy, the Knight and I already know that he will remain intact. We feel that circumcision is a barbaric and cruel surgery that is completely unnecessary. For us, any pros to circumcision (and we have found none) are overshadowed by the many negative effects it has on the baby.

In 1998, Mens Health published an article by Mark Jenkins that explains some of the many negative effects of circumcision, and why it should no longer be routinely practiced.

If you want more information, you can also view a video of a circumcision, and also be sure to check out Good Reasons Not to Circumcise and We're Not Born Needing Repairs.
Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

tanya@motherwearblog said...

I'm with you on this one. We researched it a lot, especially because we're 3/4 Jewish (long story), so there were religious/cultural issues. But after getting all the information we felt strongly that circumcision was not for us. It also helped that we were living on the West Coast at the time, where it is even more out of fashion than here.

mama k said...

Thanks for the links!
We're East coasters who don't circ! : )
Both DH and I decided that there was no reason to do it, but many reasons not to. I think it is becoming less and less popular all over, but you still that tired "locker room" excuse.

Summer said...

I wish I had known what I know now when I had my first son. Luckily I've learned my lesson and my second son is intact. It was witnessing my oldest son's mutilation that drove me to understand why and how, and from learning more I became horrified.