Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Homeopathic Remedies

This past Friday, the Mermaid, the Guppy and I were all inflicted with a stomach bug. It started a couple minutes after the Knight left the house, with the Mermaid throwing up her breakfast.

It was a rough day. The Mermaid had it the worse, throwing up many times during the day. The Guppy threw up a couple times, and I threw up a little myself as well. But thank God for homeopathic remedies! I did not have to worry about how the side effects would effect my daughters and I, or if it would do more harm than good. By the end of the day, we were all feeling great.

I started with administering Echinacea, in order to boost the immune system and combat the total onset of the bug. I also gave the Mermaid and myself Tummy Aches throughout the day, a natural, homeopathic remedy for nausea and vomiting. The Mermaid grew quite upset whenever she got sick, so I also created a calming mist of Lavender pure essential oil. I also gave the Mermaid doses of Ipecacuanha, a homeopathic remedy for nausea and vomiting. To make sure she was getting plenty of liquids, I also gave her watered down Peppermint tea. Finally, because garlic is great for boosting the immune system, I made us all some garlic soup. Of course, for the Guppy, my breastmilk was the only medicine she needed.

Garlic Soup Recipe:
2 tablespoons or more of minced garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 cups chicken broth (I used vegetable broth)
2 eggs
Serves 2-4
Saute the garlic in the olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan over low heat for 30 seconds or until garlic is pale gold, stirring constantly.
Add broth. Simmer for 5-7 minutes.
Beat eggs in small bowl then add to soup gradually, stirring gently.
Cook for 1 minute longer. Serve immediately.
Yummy!

This was the first time in which I resorted to only homeopathic and natural remedies when we've been sick and I was very pleasantly surprised on how well they worked. Most of the remedies I read about in Natural Family Living, but other great sources for homeopathic research include: Homeopathic Remedies: An Quick and Easy Guide to Common Disorders and Their Homeopathic Treatments and ABC Homeopathy.

Of course, if you are not interested in homeopathic remedies and if you are a nursing mom, you can always check to see which medications are safe for breastfeeding moms to take at KellyMom and at LactMed.

Here's to your health!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: