Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, March 01, 2010

Pull Towards Simplicity...

The Knight and I like to simplify our lives. We're working towards our goal of becoming debt free, and we try to keep our consumer needs to a minimum.

However, there is a slight division in our dreams once we talk about the point in which all of our debt is paid off and we buy our next house.

The Knight wants a "big" house, with a large backyard, one that is close to other people and conveniences.

But if it were up to me....well, I'd be raising the kids in the bush, off the grid, and living in a yurt.


The pictures are amazing...the lifestyle so inspiring. But, The Knight would never go for it, not in a million years. So I will just have to work on talking him down from buying a large house, and instead buying one only large enough for our needs.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts - what do you think about living in a yurt?

Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

Desiree said...

I would really love to live like that -- off the land too -- off the grid. I think it would be a fantastic way to raise children.
I don't think it will ever happen for us, and I'm not sure my partner would like it as much as I would, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Michele said...

While I am not sure he'd go for the tent Yurt, my DH would LOVE to live totally off the grid. I am less inclinded to live so isolatedly, but if I had internet access, maybe. Our annual summer vacation is to a cabin in ME without running water, electricity or indoor plumbing so I have some idea what they are doing. It makes for a great vacation - we all spend so much time just together. Re-entering civilization is so hard after two weeks without a phone, tv or computer!

Mary said...

Funny you should ask that. we are doing just that. we have our house for sale and we are moving into a yurt that will be off grid. No morgage, no strings, no one telling us what we can and cant' do with ourselves.
we'll keep you posted!

~rachel~ said...

I think I could live anywhere- BUT I need a real bathroom :) That's my only requirement...We've been doing a lot of simplify lately, mostly to try and sell our house, but I love how we are living now. And since getting rid of most of the toys are kids are so much calmer! I've already decided when we move- mostly likely to a smaller duplex, we won't have a TV in the living room- just our bedroom- we don't have cable anyway, but I just want the temptation gone!

Pamela Gold said...

Hmmm. I'm torn on this one. The idea of it is fantastic and I guess once we got used to it, it could work. My husband has pretty bad OCD (diagnosed) though and the thought of this alone would make him go scrub down, in a shower with running water within arm's reach!