Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, June 02, 2008

Okay, This is Getting Ridiculous...

Thanks again to Hathor for giving us the heads up on this story.

Apparently, if you want to give birth with an OB, but you want the treatment that you would already receive from a midwife, you have to pay an extra $15,000.00

From the article:

Burnette-Dubose's experience is extreme, but many American patients feel the same way — like they're just a number in line at the butcher's shop. Some patients have had enough, and those who can afford it are choosing to pay hefty premiums out-of-pocket to get more personalized, more polite service. There are
now more than 1,000 doctors in the U.S. who have opened concierge, or boutique, practices, according to the Society for Innovative Medical Practice Design. They limit the number of patients they see so they can devote more time to each; accept insurance for routine treatment and tests; and charge patients an additional flat fee for extras like no waiting, longer office visits and round-the-clock availability via e-mail or cell phone.



You can read the full text here.

In my experience, by OBGYN for my first daughter wasn't horrible, but she wasn't exactly the most pleasant thing either. Appointments with her lasted about 5 minutes long, most of which she chastised me on "gaining too much weight". Once, I tried to ask her questions about certain procedures and she told me that I "read too much".

Fast forward to my pregnancy with my second daughter, when I had a midwife. Each appoinment was a minimum of one hour, where we talked openly with each other. She answered any questions I had about pregnancy and birth, and many times she even listened as I vented some of my frustrations in my life that were completely unrelated to my pregnancy. My OB left my delivery room soon after my birth; my midwife stayed a few hours to help me get settled in and to help clean up. And the kicker? My midwife charged less.

What has our maternity care system come to?
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: