Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, June 01, 2008

American College Of Nurse-Midwives Publishes Clinical Guidelines For Oral Nutrition During Labor

Imagine: You're in the hospital, in labor. You've been in labor all day, or even for two days, or even for three. They let you eat ice chips or suck on popsicles, and that's it. You aren't allowed any food. How long do you think you could last?

Not long. As both a mother who has had a hospital birth and a doula, I detest the rule that most hospitals have in place to deny a laboring mother food and drink.

Finally, it looks like the CNM agrees.

From the article:
The newest Clinical Bulletin from the American College of Nurse-Midwives reviews evidence relevant to providing oral nutrition to women in labor and concludes that drinking and eating during labor can provide women with the energy they
need and should not be routinely restricted.

You can read the full text here.

It will be interesting to see how many hospitals will change their policy to follow the recommendations of the guidelines. As far as I know, the obstetric field is the only medical field that tends to ignore the results of their own research and studies. We shall see.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Home's Jewels said...

Ok, that's a weird comment above mine.

When I had my 1st baby 21+ years ago, my mom had already told me about how hungry she was during labor and after birth. I assumed that I would be the same. So when the doctor told me to go to the hospital (I was 5 cm in active labor at that time), instead, I went to a restaurant and had cream of broccoli soup and a fruit smoothy. I showed up way later than they liked (oh well). Sure enough, I was only allowed ice chips, not even anything to drink! They have it set up for mom to easily have a c-section.

Maybe for a hospital birth, with the high c-section rate, they need to stick with those rules. Midwives who catch babies in homes know better. They aren't predicting a c-section because they know moms know how to birth babies on their own for the most part.