Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Sunscreen Safety is a Myth

I found this article about sunscreen a while back and I thought I would share. This isn't the first time I've read this about sunscreen. In fact, very rarely do I use sunscreen on myself and the girls. Mostly I just make sure that they wear hats and we play in the shade as much as possible.

According to this article, people are taught that sunscreen is vital in order to avoid skin cancer. The author writes:

The scientific evidence, however, shows quite clearly that sunscreen actually promotes cancer by blocking the body's absorption of ultraviolet radiation, which produces vitamin D in the skin. Vitamin D, as recent studies have shown, prevents up to 77 of ALL cancers in women (breast cancer, colon cancer, cervical cancer, lung cancer, brain tumors, multiple myeloma... you name it). Meanwhile, the toxic chemical ingredients used in most sunscreen products are actually carcinogenic and have never been safety tested or safety approved by the FDA.
They get absorbed right through the skin (a porous organ that absorbs most substances it comes into contact with) and enter the bloodstream.

With the research I have done, I find that there is some truth to what this author is saying. And if you do choose to use sunscreen, you can always use the Skin Deep Database to find the safest one to buy.
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

mama k said...

We are outside at the beach a lot so no sunscreen is not an option for us. I did buy a chemical free one for the baby though.

Victoria said...

I read a study that says that you need very little un-sunblocked sun exposure to get your Vitamin D fix (will try to find the link and post later for you), so I'm gonna stick with my mineral sunscreens, for sure. (Little Man and I are WHITE!!!) And my mom has had large chunks of her skin taken out because of skin cancer, so I think it's smarter for us to go the sunscreen route.