Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Cursing Myself

I just know that by writing this post I am cursing myself. But here goes:

I think we are finally out of the tantrum stage with the Mermaid.

Now, before you all laugh at me, I don't mean totally. I understand that kids will have tantrums. But, the Mermaid was throwing maybe three or four tantrums a day. It was tiring. It was exhausting. And it was frustrating, very very frustrating.

I really did not like myself these past few weeks when dealing with these tantrums. I definitely yelled a LOT more than I should. I turned into the Mean Mommy. I was basically horrible. Make room for me on the Bad Mommy Bench and pass me over some popcorn, because I was going to be there for a while.

I'm not sure exactly what made me wake up and pay attention. I just finally realized, after another day of tantrums, that clearly yelling and ignoring her is not working. Don't ask me why I didn't realize this earlier, I don't know. So, I took a different approach, one that I always told myself I would do. When the Mermaid would show signs of being about to throw a tantrum, I would distract her. If she threw one anyway, I would verbalize her feelings. I wouldn't let her get whatever it was she wanted and couldn't have, but I would let her know that I understood that she wanted it, and although she couldn't have it, I understood that it made her upset.

She hasn't had a tantrum in three days. In fact, for the past three days she's been an absolute angel. She's even begun potty learning.

In the end, all it took was for me to grow up and stop throwing my own little tantrums when she would start hers. I had to learn to deal with it while keeping her needs and her perspective in mind. And it seems to be working. She's even more cuddly, more responsive, laughing more, smiling more, etc.

I really hope I didn't curse it by writing this post ;o)
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

mama k said...

haha. I thinks it's funny how kids point out our own flaws. At least if we are willing to change, being parents makes you a better person.