Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, April 09, 2009

She Just Loves Her Math..

The Mermaid has discovered a passion for math. She loves doing math problems and asks to do it every day.

We've already done a little addition and now she has asked me to show her how to "minus things". I'm not sure where she is picking up this love of math, but I'm a little relieved.

I've always hated math. Anything to do with numbers, I tried my best to avoid. So I was a little worried that I would unintentionally pass off these feelings towards math to my daughters.


This just goes to show what different experiences my kids will have towards learning. I hated math, and the more I was forced to do it, the more I hated it. The Mermaid loves math and asks to do it every day, and to her it is fun because it is something she is interested in and isn't forced to sit down and do. However, she isn't as fond at practicing her handwriting. Some days she wants to do it, and some days she doesn't. And on those days, I don't push her. I don't force her to sit down and finish the page and tell her she has to do it; I just tell her that it is there when she is ready.

I've also learned that the Mermaid likes having structure in her day. Like me, she likes having a plan and set time to do things. I was originally leaning towards unschooling, but the Mermaid asks every day for "learning time" and sits at the table, excited about whatever we are going to learn that day. So, for now, I'm just following her lead.

For other homeschoolers out there: what surprises have come up for you since you started homeschooling?


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're a little behind you in our homeshooling journey, but it's exciting to hear that things are going well for you. I, too, am looking forward to fosterng my children's love of learning, rather than avoidance tendencies.