Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Gazelle Intensity

As huge fans of Dave Ramsey, the Knight and I have been following the Total Money Makeover plan to get ourselves out of debt. It allowed us to pay off lots of debt and buy a house. After we moved in, we continued our debt snowball and made one HUGE payment to our last credit card.

Then Kalei died and things fell to the back burner for a bit. We didn't feel much like cooking, so we ate out at almost every meal and blew our budget to pieces.

It's taken us a while to get back on track, but we are determined to get back to gazelle intensity. We don't tend to spend much in the first place, which is what allows us to live off one income, but I wanted to figure out new ways to save even more money.

That's when I stumbled upon Coupon Mom. I'm hooked. I've started scouring flyers and looking for coupons. It's almost a hobby of mine now. The Knight pokes fun of me because every week I get all excited and tell him about how I saved us $0.04 per ounce in apple juice this week, and so forth. And you may laugh, too, until you realize that the $0.04 per ounce saved added up to $7.48 total.

I admit, it's a lot of time and work. A lot. But if it gets us out of debt faster, then I am willing to do what it takes. My goal is for our grocery bill to be down to $60 per week in 6 months from now. Right now we spend anywhere from $80 - $100, depending on how much toiletries we need that week.

I've got quite the pantry going and I plan on sharing some of my favorite tips, sites, and deals as I go along. Living simply and frugally is part of my life. It lets me stay home with my children and raise them, so it is important to me.

What do you do to save money on groceries, or around the house in general? Do you find living frugally a blessing or a hardship?
Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Crafty Mama said...

I find living frugally to be both a blessing and a hardship. We too are working on paying off debt and no longer purchase anything on the fly. I know what you mean about eating out and having your budget go to pieces, with the amount of working that we both have done we have eaten out a lot! It is fun to try and see how much money you can save, though.

Kristin said...

I love Coupon Mom --- and like you my husband laughed when I would call him at work and tell him that I just got back from the grocery store and had saved 55% of the original bill that week.

I think that knowing the prices of the things you regularly buy is most important. That way you can spot a deal, and not a pseudo-deal. I stock up when things go on sale (and often there is a coupon that week too). If there is a really good set of coupons in a given week I will buy a second Sunday paper or ask my in-laws for their coupon sections.

mama k said...

You go!
Eating out is the first to go for us too. It can be hard to get back on track with that.
I like MoneySavingMom.com and joined Coupon Mom after I saw her on Oprah. I can't get quite organized enough to do the full-on couponing, but I have done some CVSing.

KAP said...

Coupon Mom ROCKS! I love it too!

~Kelly Page