Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Breastfeeding Moms in the Workplace

In my area, there is a great variance in how companies treat the Breastfeeding mother in the workplace. For example, at my job, I have to pump in the bathroom. I really don't get an official break for pumping, so most nights I am force to wait until we hit a slow period and then pump as quickly as I can and hope that I am not needed while I am pumping (I am a supervisor and cashiers often need me to authorize refunds, returns, etc.). However, the Knight works for a company that is much more breastfeeding friendly. They offer breastfeeding moms adequate time to pump and also provide a private pumping room with a table and comfortable chair.

After reading this recent report put out by CIGNA, I realize that the Knight's company is very smart.

According to CIGNA, employers who initiate a program to support lactating women when they return to work actually save money. The report states:
A study of Working Well Moms, CIGNA's (NYSE: CI) corporate lactation program for employees who breastfeed, revealed a savings of $240 thousand annually in health care expenses for breastfeeding mothers and their children. In addition, a
savings of $60 thousand annually is realized through reduced absenteeism among breastfeeding mothers at CIGNA. The study also found that pharmacy costs for breastfed children are lower, because they require 62 percent fewer prescriptions.


Just goes to show that breastfeeding not only benefits the mother and child, but the community as a whole.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: