Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Breastfeeding Advocacy in MA

When I first started reading about breastfeeding advocacy I really didn't think I had much I could do in Massachusetts. I just figured that MA already had laws in place to protect the rights of the breastfeeding mom. So imagine my surprise when I discovered that MA is one of the few states that have no laws whatsoever to protect nursing moms!

However, there is hope on the horizon.

Thanks to the efforts of the Massachusetts Breastfeeding Coalition and local nursing moms, there are now currently five bills being considered in legislation that deal with breastfeeding. If enacted, four of these laws would: protect a woman's right to nurse in public; protect her rights concerning workplace lactation; provide access to educational materials on the benefits of breastfeeding; and would allow the licensing of lactation consultants. The fifth bill would require that all women have access to free formula samples and materials.

The bills protecting nursing moms need our support in order to be pushed through and made law. The MBC is holding a lobbying day on Wednesday, May 9th, at the State House Room 109. Come and speak to your legislatures about getting these bills passed!
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

lifejournalist said...

hi, i'm also a 23-yr old mom! great to find you. nice blog!

- ruver e kalluem said...

Hi I'd love you to call into my blog. I have special post up and I need as many to see as possible.

Jewel xx