Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, June 04, 2007

Two Wonderful Years

Two years ago today, I walked down an aisle and into the next chapter of my life. Two years ago today, I stood at the alter, faced my Knight in shinning armor and pledged my unconditional love in front of our family and friends. Two years ago today, I gave my entire heart and soul to my best friend, the love of my life, my soul mate.

The Surprise:

Although we had known each other for years, the Knight and I had only been officially dating for three months when I found out I was pregnant with the Mermaid. I was terrified. So was the Knight. After our initial, OMG what are we going to do!?! reaction, I was surprised and overjoyed when he actually became very happy and excited about the thought of being a father. We briefly discussed marriage and I told him that there was no way I was going to get married just because I was pregnant. He told me he didn't want to marry me because I was pregnant; he wanted to marry me because he was in love with me. I felt the same.



The Proposal:

It was four months into my pregnancy, and due to morning sickness the only thing I could keep down was cereal. The Knight surprised me with a candle light dinner of Cheerios and milk, with roses all over the house. We danced to our song and then he popped the question. I, of course, answered yes. I was surprised at how nervous he was. His hands shook a little when he was eating.

The Wedding:

We were married June 4th, 2005, on a beautiful sunny day. Our ceremony took place on a gazebo in the center of a local town, the reception took place at a restaurant across the street. About 100, 130 people attended. The wedding got off to a late start because the limo broke down on the way to pick us up and also the Best Man got in a car accident on the way to the wedding. Thankfully he was not hurt and we were able to proceed. The wedding was gorgeous, more than I could hope for. The Mermaid was 9 months old at the time and was in attendance, in fact the Knight held her in his arms while I walked down the aisle. It was wonderful.

The Marriage:

These past two years have been the most wonderful years of my life. Nervous about how our marriage would turn out, I know now I had nothing to fear. The Knight is still my best friend, my soul mate. He is the most kind and considerate man I have ever met. He is also a wonderful father. When we are out in public, I feel so proud to have him on my arm. He buys me flowers for no reason, helps out with the housework, encourages me with my passions and interests. He is so romantic and passionate yet he also knows how to just sit and goof around with me like a buddy. He knows my every secret, my every flaw, my every quirk, and still loves me unconditionally. Whatever obstacle I face, I know that I will have his support and encouragement.

The Future:

I no longer fear the future. While the uncertainty of what tomorrow will bring used to make my heart beat with fear, now it beats with excitement. I know that whatever comes our way, both good or bad, we will come out of it with a determination to continue on together. Our hands are clasped but our hearts are intertwined. I never really understood the quote from Browning's poem until now: Grow old along with me, the best to come is yet to be.

I love you, my Knight.


The first song we danced to as husband and wife.
Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

Dirkey said...

So sweet, all the best to you both!!!

mama k said...

Congrats!
I didn't realize our anniversaries were so close. : )

Anonymous said...

Two years ago, we began our journey together with many questions and an uncertain future. Looking back today, I know that you are the best thing that has ever happened to me. These last two years with you have been wonderful, but you were right, the best is yet to come. I guarantee that. And there's no one that I'd rather share them with than you. I love you, now and always. -Your Knight.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and your Knight! It is always a pleasure to come across a happy couple (especially as it often means that there is a happy family).

I have been a lurker for a while and learned many things from your site. In fact, we're expecting a second baby and one of your links about circumcision gave me the opportunity to start that conversation with my husband and have it end the way I was hoping it would.

When I first found your site, I was interested by the fact that you and I are the same age. It's not often I find other women who, at 23, are as responsible and dedicated to parenting as you. Most are mortified by the mere thought of becoming a parent. Anyways, it's a pleasure to know that you're there and that I'm not the only 23 year old in the world who is totally into attachment parenting and the like. Thanks for all of your informative and intelligent posts.

Shelly said...

Dirkey and Mama K: Thanks for the kind thoughts. :o)

Anon: Thank you for what you wrote. I know how you feel, none of my friends my age really "get" me now, even the few that have kids of their own. I'm the youngest mom at most AP mom groups and at my local LLL group, so yes, it is nice to know that another mom my age is out there that is dedicated to AP parenting like I am. Thank you for your wonderful comment, glad my blog could help in your decision concerning circumcision. :o)

KimChi said...

I remember that day!! It was a perfect day and you looked beautiful. I'm glad you both are still so happy with each other and your family. :-)