Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Reducing Toxins in Breastmilk

In the past, I've read debates on the level of toxins found in the milk of breastfeeding mothers. Although these toxins are can be found in breastmilk, I don't let this fact deter me from breastfeeding, or change my belief that breastfeeding is perfectly safe and natural and is what is right for the baby.

However, for those nursing moms that do find it troubling that toxins are present in their breastmilk, the authors of the book The New Breastfeeding Diet Plan offer five things a mom can do to reduce the amount of toxins in her milk. These things are:
1. eat organic
2. drink more water
3. eat liver-healthy foods
4. aid detoxification through the digestive tract
5. detoxification through the skin.

While it is impossible to completely eliminate toxins from the body, following these steps will help to lower the amount of toxins present.

As for me, we do eat some things organic, but I am not going to put ourselves into the poor house by buying all food organic. Drinking more water is always a plus, especially for a nursing mom; I tend to drink at least 35 - 40 oz a day. Eating liver healthy foods are always good, and the foods that the article describes are a daily presence on our plates. As for numbers four and five, the vegetables I eat are full of fiber, and the exercise I do every day gives me a good sweat.

I guess by naturally living healthy like we have been, I've not only been improving my health but reducing the level of toxins in my breastmilk. Can't beat that.
Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Mom O Matic said...

I love that organic is slowly infiltrating the mainstream grocery stores. I'm hoping that the trend keeps up and they get cheaper as the demand grows.

Snoskred said...

Hi, it's Snoskred here. I've recently become a blogging chick and have set myself a challenge to comment on as many Blogging Chick blogs as I can. So that's why I'm here. ;)

I'm also a big fan of the organic trend. :) Congrats on such beautiful kids. ;)

Snoskred
http://snoskred.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Interesting. I never concerned myself too much w/ toxins in my breastmilk (unless taking an Rx). I always know that it's nothing close to the amount of junk in most formulas. Since I don't smoke and rarely drink, I'm good with breastfeeding.
Thanks for posting the 5 things. Always good to know!