Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Choosy Moms Choose Cesareans?!?

April is Cesearean Awareness Month. So, of course, this article appeared, Choosy Moms Choose Cesarean. From the article:
Some of the rise in C-sections can certainly be attributed to women with routine pregnancies, like Chung, who make a pragmatic decision to keep their deliveries just as uneventful. Preliminary data suggest that such cases account for anywhere from 4% to 18% of the total number of caesareans. On the medical side, better anesthesia and antibiotics are making the procedure safer. Add to that the growing number of women delaying childbirth, those having twins or triplets as a result of in vitro fertilization and America's exploding obesity epidemic--all of which increase the risks of vaginal delivery. Doctors are also
becoming better at picking up the slightest signs of distress in the baby or mother and are quicker to recommend caesareans in such cases.


Yes, because there is nothing uneventful with having major abdominal surgery. And now the procedure is safer? Safer than what? Safer than what is used to be, but not safer than vaginal birth.

The best part is at the end, where the author writes:
Chung remains convinced that she made the right decision for herself and son Nathan. As our ideas about birth evolve, perhaps more women will feel less defensive about making the same choice.



Evolve to what? Evolve as far away from what nature intended possible?


Really, I have no words. Just lots of frustration and eye-rolling. I am an extremely choosy person. And I chose natural childbirth for a reason.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

mama k said...

I read that too.
Really, they don't know what they are missing. :)
To me the greatest benefit of natural childbirth is that I feel good AFTER. I could hold and cuddle my baby right away. I could get up and use the potty all by myself. I had no drug hangover or incision pain in those early stressful weeks.