Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, February 24, 2011

One World

"If the cropland we currently use to produce grain for livestock was redirected for humans, we would be able to feed 800 million people who are starving in third-world countries." - Kim Barnouin
Our journey to becoming vegans is going really great so far. We've phased out all the foods that contain animal products out of our home, and are now starting to work on other items with animal products (shoes, purses, etc.)

I definitely think that taking it slowly and thinking of it as a process has helped a LOT in our transition. I've definitely had to re-think how I approach things; before I hated cooking and at first, cooking healthy vegan meals seemed overwhelming and time consuming. But now, cooking has been so relaxing and a way for me to unwind at the end of the day. Once I got used to cooking, I found it really didn't take that much time at all. And to see my family eat the meal I cooked and know that the food they are eating is healthy for them and the earth, well it makes me so happy.

Another benefit: I've lost 35lbs!! Some of it I lost before becoming vegan, but a majority of it was after. I feel great, my wedding rings fit again, I have more energy, etc.

I have a bunch of new cookbooks that have been so helpful. We try 1-2 new recipes a week, and I make their favorites on the other days. One of our favorites so far is Seitan, we can't get enough of it!! And of course all those veggies!

The more I keep researching and learning and cooking, the more happy I am with our decision and the more positive I am in knowing it was the right one. If I want a more compassionate world for my children when they grow up, then it starts with me. Animal agriculture is not only insanely cruel, but the biggest polluter of our environment. By teaching the girls about why eating meat is not healthy and not good for the environment, I help grow their compassion and caring for our world.

After all, we only have one world.


Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Maida said...

Good for you on the weight loss! I have some baby weight to lose too and it's not been easy.

I do have a question for you (purely out of curiosity): now that you're vegan-- or heading in that direction-- will you still attend and promote the circus? You've blogged about it in the past and I'm just curious.

Shelly said...

Hi Maida,

Great question. I will no longer be attending and promoting the circus. This is something I have been thinking about lately, and I don't see how I can teach my children to treat animals with compassion while supporting the circus and their animal cruelty :)