Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Peaceful

I'm sitting here drinking my coffee and looking out my slider door at my garden.

It's pretty peaceful here, this morning.

The Tadpole is taking his morning nap. Upstairs, the girls are dancing and singing along to a Christmas CD while they pick up their room. This means that they will take three times as long to clean it up, but for now I let them dance and giggle together.

The Mermaid woke up extra early this morning and decided to make a card for me with glitter. I normally keep the glitter on top of the fridge, but she somehow climbed up and got it. The table is covered with glitter, the floor is covered, and because The Tadpole crawled through it and is now sleeping on my bed, both he and my bed are covered in it as well.

Glitter is the herpes of the craft world: once you get it, you can never quite get rid of it.

But, oh well. The floor looks sparkly and pretty at the moment, and there will be plenty of time to sweep it up later.

I've been thinking a lot lately on working on my interactions with The Mermaid. I feel as though we are constantly butting heads and having battles. There is lots of attitude in that girl, she's like at 16 year-old trapped in a 6 year-old body.

About a year ago a dear friend referred to The Mermaid's behavior as "good leadership skills." I really liked that perspective and it has definitely become my mantra that I chant when I am especially exasperated with her. And yesterday, another dear friend posted this link on my FB wall.

Leadership skills...leadership skills...

Yesterday was rough, for both of us. But today is a new day. Right?



Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Maida said...

I can appreciate this... My 5 year old and I are constantly getting into it. She's got enough attitude for 12 people. The frustrating part for me is that she gets along great with my husband. She listens to him and doesn't argue or try to pick fights. I guess it comes with the territory.

~rachel~ said...

My almost 6 year old boy is the same way! I fear the teen years (and am secretly glad I don't have girls... :)

Oh, and glitter being herpes- hilarious! I totally agree! :)