Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Goal I Am Proud Of.

I've been breastfeeding the Guppy for two years.

The World Health Organization states that children should be nursed up to two years and beyond. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children be breastfed at least up to a year, and beyond as long as it is mutually desired by the child and mother.

When the Mermaid was born, I promised myself that I would breastfeed her for six months. Six months turned into a year without me noticing, and on her first birthday I moved my goal up to two years. However, when she was 15 months old, I became pregnant with the Guppy and by the time she was 21 months she was fully weaned due to my decreasing supply.

When the Guppy was born, I vowed to make it to at least two years, unless she decided otherwise. Through an improper latch that made my nipples resemble raw hamburger, to pumping in a bathroom at my old part-time job, I'm proud to say that I stuck to my goal: I've been officially nursing her for two years.

The funny thing is, like with the Mermaid, I didn't even notice really that I reached that goal. I look at my beautiful child, in her funny stage of toddlerhood, and I think, "Of course I'm still nursing her. Why wouldn't I be?"

Nursing is a natural part of our lives. It's part of our daily life, like eating or sleeping or brushing our teeth. I give my daughter kisses when she bumps her head, and I give her Na Na's. It's how I comfort her, how I give her nourishment when she is ill and isn't eating, how I calm her when she gets upset, how I tell her I love her. Really, when I am nursing her, no more thought goes into it than when I give her a hug, or tuck her in, or change her diaper. We just do it, and it works for us. It's so natural to us, it requires no thought.

I can't imagine weaning her right now. Maybe in a little while, I'll approach night-weaning, but not right before a move. And since the Knight and I are trying for our third baby, who knows what will happen when I get pregnant. But right now, I know that she is still in a stage in her life where she needs her "nanas", and I am still in a stage in my life where I am fine with giving them to her.

Besides, on top of all the benefits of nursing her that I've mentioned above, it's been proving that nursing a toddler is beneficial to her health. And that's enough reason for me.

To nursing moms out there: how long do you plan on nursing? Have you nursed children past the first year? Past the second? I'm interested in hearing your stories.
Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

Jen said...

I intended to nurse my first to at least 9 months, but due to inverted nipples, latch issues, and a host of other problems, I lost my supply (despite lots of fenugreek and frequent pumping) at 6 months. With my second, we've had nearly the same set of problems (she's fed exclusively breastmilk, but takes about half her feedings from a bottle instead of from me - it's complicated,) but we've made it to the 7 month mark and are still going strong. I plan to continue on to at least a year; from there it depends on how long she wants to keep at it.

Toastqueen said...

Honestly, I can't wait to wean. I nightweaned, and although I'm sleeping through the night mostly it's made milk more of a commodity. I'm just tired of being poked and prodded! We're at 28 months now.

mama k said...

Congrats!

Like you, I started out with small goals. Initially I wanted to nurse for a year. But as I learned more and as time progressed, my goal turned into 2 years. We night weaned closer to 1 year old since cosleeping wasn't working. But I am proud to say that we made it to just over 2 years before he weaned completely. For me, nursing beyond year 1, was the bonus time. I got to enjoy nursing him when he was sick or when he was going through separation anxiety... all without the stress that often comes when you are getting nursing established in the early months. Sometimes I wish we had kept going a little bit longer. But overall I'm very happy we made it as far as we did.

Anonymous said...

My goal was to nurse my twins for a year or a year and a half. Sadly, all my milk dried up at 9 months.

Toastqueen said...

I'm sorry, my response should have been more positive.

Yes, you should be very proud of your achievement!

=)

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

Congrats on meeting your goal! My goal was at least one year of nursing exclusively. From there, I was going to follow Sweetpea's lead and see where we ended up. She is 18 months now. I stopped pumping at work when she reached a year, but she has been nursing at night and in the morning since then and taking frozen breastmilk or whole milk at daycare. She shows no signs of wanting to stop, and I'm not going to push it.

You did a great thing for your daughters, and it is such a sweet bond, isn't it? I will miss it when this season passes.

Steph