Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

High Heels And All

I wear many hats. Doula, friend, woman, advocate, activist, etc.

And of course, my most important hat: mother.

Lately the mother hat has been feeling a little big. Falling into my eyes, losing its shape and coming apart at the seams, to be more precise.

I went to sweep the kitchen floor, and realized it was the fifth time I did so today.

Small hands always reaching, grabbing and tugging on my sleeves. Begging for my attention.

Mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy!

Same thing, day after day.

Sometimes, I want to play dress up, too. Think of myself as something other than a mother. Remember what it was like to have an identity separate from my children.

I like to believe that I'm good at not letting motherhood define me as a person. Just because I'm a mother, doesn't mean I have to give up who I am.

Sometimes it's just harder than others.

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Crafty Mama said...

Oh Man, can I relate to this. Some days I feel as if I have lost my identity as myself completly! I have lots of hats as most people I know, but I feel like the Mom and Manager hats are the illest-fitting. Thanks for putting this out there. :)