Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Next Step

Last week I was at work and someone made a comment about the fact that I stay home with my children. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was to the effect of, "Don't you mind having to give up a career to stay home with your kids?" This simple question kind of threw me through a loop simply because I never thought that I was "giving up" anything to stay home with my girls, especially a career. My girls will not always be little, and I always assumed that once they were old enough I would go back into the workforce in a job that allowed me to still spend lots of time with my family.

I have been thinking about the future lately, and what I would like to do when my girls get older. And while I have been considering many jobs, the one that my mind keeps coming back to is being a Doula. I think that to help a woman have her ideal birth, to aid her into bringing her baby into this world, is really a job that I would love to have.

With that in mind, I have begun researching the different paths one can take to be certified as a Doula. I have begun setting aside some time to talk to woman who are Doulas, in order to inquire about why they chose the path they did, learn more about the business aspect, and about how being a Doula has impacted their life.

I am a little scared. I am very hopeful. But most of all, I am very excited.
Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how having children expands your world? I would have never even thought of birth as a potentially satisfying, life-changing event before I had a baby. But here I am now, five months away from Baby #2 and 15 months after Baby #1, thinking, wow, wouldn't it be incredible to be a midwife?

tanya@motherwearblog said...

There's a great doula network out here called the Green River Doula Network:

http://www.greenriverdoulas.org/

I know many of them, and would be happy to introduce you if you want!

Tanya

mama k said...

They always say persue your passion. And this is something you are passionate about! Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I think life is much more fulfilling when you follow your heart. Having a career that you love makes working seem like much less of a job. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

shelly, could you please shoot me an email? amygeekgrl@gmail.com
i can't find your contact info on here.
thanks! :)

heather@it'stwinsanity said...

Being a doula is incredibly fulfilling work! I have been doing it for almost 3 years now and ultimately I want to become a midwife. Best of luck with your plans!

Anonymous said...

get facebook likes
buy facebook fans
get facebook fans
buy facebook likes
how to get facebook likes

http://www.australianshortfilms.com/forums/member.php?u=142743
http://www.psysc.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=9192
http://www.mommyconceive.com/index.php?action=profile;u=18238
http://www.srt8oc.com/forums/member.php?u=94487
http://www.tacomaairsoft.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2249


how to get facebook likes
get facebook likes
how to get facebook likes get facebook likes
does anyone know if they are legit? i want a points2shop account but don't know if it will give my computer viruses or stuff like that, or if it's a scam. any help?
_________________
get facebook fans [url=http://www.joboasis.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=130614.0]buy facebook fans[/url] get facebook fans buy facebook fans