Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, March 19, 2009

She'll Make My Hair Turn Gray

Yesterday I was at a meeting when I got a frantic phone call from the Knight. All I could hear was the Guppy screaming in the background and I could only make out a few words that the Knight was saying:

"lots of blood....really hurt.....mouth...."

Turns out the girls were playing and the Guppy fell and the Mermaid tripped and fell on the Guppy's head, basically slamming her mouth into the ground. The bleeding had stopped by the time I got home, but now the Guppy has a huge fat upper lip. Oh, and the gums above her top two teeth are black.

The fat lip doesn't worry me. The gums do. I've called the dentist and made an appointment but they won't see her until Monday because they want the swelling to do down first. Her teeth are in their normal position and she doesn't appear to be in any pain and I'm waiting for her pediatrician to call me back.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Any tips for reducing the swelling? The nurse at the ped's office told me ice, but honestly I don't know how well I am going to get a two year old to keep ice on her lip. Inputs, please :o)
Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

mamamilkers said...

Ooooo, we've been there. A few times (yikes!) The worst time, about a year ago, my older one pushed my younger one down and she hit her face on the wooden arm of a couch. Motrin was administered. In other cases we've given arnica, as well. We took her to the doctor just to see if she needed stiches or anything, but she didn't. The dentist saw her, as well, but we were told the same thing-- that the swelling had to go down before we knew the full extent of the damage. Even after the swelling went down and her two front teeth were a bit out of place, we were told it would only be time if we knew what would happen to them. Luckily, nothing did, but it was a wait and see thing. Our older daughter did a face plant on the sidewalk last month and it wasn't pretty.

I hope your little girl is feeling better soon! Mouth injuries are NOT fun!

lford said...

Frozen fruit helps with mouth swelling in little kids. that way you don't have to struggle with them to keep the ice on their mouth. Good Luck :)

mama k said...

Ouch! I'd say popcicles would be good. And Arnicare is amazing stuff. (I think Boiron makes it? Or is it Hylands?)
You wouldn't want to put it in the mouth, but use it on the skin outside. If you put it on right away it prevents a lot of bruising and pain.