Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Purging Party

We have a finished basement that became an office when we moved in three years ago. Unfortunately, it isn't heated and we don't use it in the winter. And because it's not being used, all winter long we start throwing stuff in the room that we don't have a place for at that moment so that we can "deal with it later." And by spring, the office has become so overwhelmed with clutter and stuff that it is scary to go in there.

Usually we take a weekend and clean it out in the spring. It's something I kind of look forward to - purging a bunch of junk can be so refreshing. But now, we are halfway through summer and it's been sooo crazy we haven't been able to get to it yet. And The Knight and I keep saying to each other "We really need to clean out the basement." Yet it still hasn't happened.

The line was finally crossed when I noticed that the clutter was starting to climb up the stairs. Like it was alive, and slowly inching its way up to attack the rest of the house.

Oh no, I will NOT tolerate that crap.

So kind-of-tentative plans have been made to go on a purging spree Saturday morning. And we're even making plans on downsizing our office to the bare minimum and turning most of the room into a playroom. Which means I will be able to move a bunch of the kids' larger toys down there and out of sight. And they will go down there to play, instead of jumping on my couch a gazillion times a day so that I keep having to readjust the couch covers while muttering under my breath something about wanting to throw the couches out the window.

For those who have a playroom - any tips on keeping it organized?



Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Crafty Mama said...

We have recently made a rule that at the end of the day, all toys must be returned to the family room. I don't mind if the toys are strewn in there, but only THERE. So sadly, I have no organization tips. :)

I want to have a purge party in my basement, too! It looks like a babies r us threw up down there. Add college crap, Navy crap, etc......hardly any room to move around.

Michele said...

I worked with a professional organizer on my office. I asked her that very question and she said that if you love a space you are more committed to keeping it neat.

Adrianne said...

You have to be consistant and be sure it is picked up every night. It is a problem in my house because I let it get out of control but it is getting better!!! Enjoy!!